Last Updated: 06th July, 2023
- Visit our website at careerlane.com.au, or any website of ours that links to this privacy notice
- Engage with us in other related ways, including any sales, marketing, or events
Collection of Information
We collect personal information that you voluntarily provide to us when you use our site
Depending on the services you use within the site, we collect:
- Your name, and contact information such as address, email address, and phone number
- Credit card details and billing information (for services requiring payment)
- Information about your education, past and current occupations, skills and experiences, past completed works, awards and certificates
- Information imported by you or your connections from third party applications
- Information about third parties as provided by you, such as references or contacts
- Your postal code, preferences, favourites
- Your age, gender, race or ethnicity, if permitted by local law and you choose to provide it
We automatically collect information about how you use our sites and mobile applications, the areas of our site that you visit, as well as information about your computer or mobile device including your IP address, device ID, physical location, browser and operating system type, and referring URLs. This information is necessary for providing personalised and location-based content as well as for analysing the use of resources, troubleshooting problems, preventing fraud, and improving our services. We may combine this information with information in your account to help prevent fraud.
If you choose to login with Facebook or similar sites, we import the information that you choose to share with us by installing the application or logging into that platform or site, and we make it part of your profile. Because CareerLane sites are intended to allow you to share your information and to allow others to find you, we make certain information about you publicly available by default. Such information may, for example, be accessed by everyone on the Internet, including users without accounts, and may appear in public search engine search results. However, you can control the visibility of your information by managing your privacy settings. You can also restrict the information available to others by deleting information you do not want visible or by not providing it at all.
How your information is used
We use the information we collect to provide our services, respond to you, operate and improve our sites and applications, and foster a positive user experience. Our services include the display of personalised products, content, and advertising relating to your career experience and interests, either on our site or other sites with which we have a business relationship.
By registering with CareerLane, by managing your profile, or by opting in when presented with choices, you have consented for us to use your information in the following ways:
- to automatically create a profile for you based on information that you have provided to us, information imported from other sites, or information provided to us by third parties such as your contacts;
- to allow you to contact other users or to invite others to join or create and account;
- to allow you to import information about yourself or your contacts from other sites or applications or to export your information to other sites or applications;
- to make purchases;
- to contact you about feature updates, informational and service-related communications, including important security updates;
- to provide you with additional communications, information, and promotions such as newsletters and career advice;
- to help your friends, contacts, and potential employers find your profile and connect with you;
- to provide information about you and your potential interests in job postings to employers and other service providers interested in supporting your career development;
- to provide products and services to employers to complete the recruitment and hiring process;
- to provide products and services that enable users to network, post information on bulletin boards, view and compare profiles;
- to allow you to share jobs and profile information with your connections;
- to give search engines access to public information;
- to detect, investigate and prevent activities that may violate our policies or be illegal; and
- to make suggestions and draw inferences about you. For example, we may make suggestions about people you may know or additional jobs, products or services that might be of interest to you. Or, if you identify yourself as “Mrs.” we will assume you are female.
Information you post in public areas of CareerLane sites or upload to CareerLane may be accessed, used, and stored by others around the world, including those in countries that might not have legislation that guarantees adequate protection of personal information as defined by your country of residence. While CareerLane takes measures to safeguard your information from unauthorised access or inappropriate use, CareerLane does not control these third parties and we are not responsible for their use of information you give to us. Accordingly, you should not post sensitive information, personality profiles, or any other information you would not want made public, to any CareerLane site.
We use data we have about you to determine whether you might be interested in the opportunities, products or services of a particular third party. We show you targeted ads on our sites or other sites with which we have a business relationship. These ads are targeted based on information we collect about you and information about you we acquire from third parties.
How we share information
CareerLane and its sites primary purpose is to provide a platform for you to broadcast the information you upload to it to maximise your career opportunities. The information we gather may be shared within the CareerLane group of companies, as well as select third parties who provide support for your career development. By using our services, you agree that your information may be shared with these third parties.
- We share your information with third parties who help deliver our products and services to you. Examples include hosting our web servers, including CV database storage, analysing data, providing marketing assistance, processing credit card payments, and providing customer service. These companies will have access to your personal information as necessary to perform their functions, but they may not use that data for any other purpose. We will remain responsible for any information shared in this way.
We may disclose information to third parties. For example
- you will receive information about the opportunities, products, or services of third parties: we supply your contact information to those third parties so they may contact you;
- By applying to a job or providing your contact information to show interest in a job, you consent to the disclosure of your information to that employer.
- We also share aggregated information (including location data) about CareerLane site visitors and application users with third parties to serve advertisements to you on our sites or other sites with which we have a business relationship. We may also aggregate data regarding job qualifications, schooling, age, experience level or other information relevant to the job search. This aggregated data does not identify users individually, and may be made available to employers or fellow job seekers or community members. If we create a co-branded site with another company, information will be retained by both companies and subject to the privacy policies of both companies which will be published on the co-branded sites.
We disclose information if legally required to do so, or at our discretion pursuant to a request from a governmental entity or if we believe in good faith – after considering your privacy interests and other factors – that such action is necessary to:
- meet legal requirements or comply with legal process;
- protect our rights or property or our affiliated companies;
- prevent a crime or protect national security; or
- protect the personal safety of users or the public.
We may disclose and transfer information to a third party who acquires any or all of CareerLane's business units, whether such acquisition is by way of merger, consolidation or purchase of all or a substantial portion of our assets. In addition, in the event CareerLane becomes the subject of an insolvency proceeding, such information will be disposed of in a transaction approved by the court. You will be notified of the sale of all or a substantial portion of our business to a third party by email or through a prominent notice posted on the site.
When you create or update your "profile" within the site, we store it in our searchable database. Visibile and limited profiles can be found by anyone with access to the site. We cannot control the retention, use, or privacy of these profiles that have been viewed or downloaded by others.
As noted within the bounds of the website, some data stored within your profile is only visbile to another user of the site, once you apply to a job listing of theirs.
We do limit access to your profile to specific users, such as employers with a job you have applied for; however, we cannot guarantee what these users do with this information once they receive it, and therefore are not liable for their use.
You may remove your profile and delete your account from the CareerLane site at any time. However, anyone who previously downloaded or viewed this information, may have kept a copy of it in their own files or databases. Therefore, we always recommend exercising caution when applying for jobs on the site.
How we store your information
Because manging a career is a life-long process, we retain all the information we gather about you in an effort to make repeat use of our site more efficient, practical and relevant until you change or remove your personal data as described below. You may access, review, correct, update, change or delete your profile at any time. Log into your account, go to your profile, and make the desired changes.
Access to or correction, update, or deletion of your personal information may be denied or limited by CareerLane if it would violate another person’s rights and/or as otherwise permitted by applicable law. If you wish to delete or close your account or account profile information altogether, please contact us. We will send you an email to confirm that your personal information has been deleted (save for an archival copy which is not accessible by you or third parties on the Internet). The archival copy is retained only for as long as needed for audit and record purposes. We will also keep logs and information that may relate to your activity on the site.
We will respond to information access requests without undue delay of receipt and in any event within 30 days. If we require additional time to provide access to your information, we will acknowledge receipt of your request within 30 days and promptly supplement our response within the time period required by applicable law.
Separately, and regardless of your settings, if you do not log into your account for a significant period of time, it will expire and be scheduled for deletion. Expired accounts are deleted on a periodic basis. Our current expiration period is approximately 36 months; we may extend or reduce this period in order to adjust to changing hiring patterns. If we change the period, we will update this notice. You will always receive an email from us before we delete your account in this manner.
You are responsible for keeping your login details secret and not sharing this information to anyone.
CareerLane takes appropriate measures to secure your personal information from accidental loss and from unauthorised access, use, alteration or disclosure. However, the Internet is an open system and we cannot guarantee that unauthorised third parties will not be able to defeat those measures or use your personal information for improper purposes.
When you place an order online at CareerLane or any of its sites, your credit card is not stored on our servers and instead passed directly to a third-party provider. We may collect data necessary to process your payment if you make purchases, such as your payment instrument number, and the security code associated with your payment instrument. All payment data is stored by Stripe. You may find their privacy notice link(s) here: https://stripe.com/en-au/privacy
If you have any questions about this Policy, please contact us by email at [email protected].